Saturday, August 4, 2012

Ideas, and the Fact that I'm Out of Them

Yup. Glory be, I make a comeback, pledge to post a lot now, and utterly fail. This is why I avoid New Years Resolutions... Well, certain ones at least.

So. Um...How about books? Books are always a popular topic...I think. I'll start with the three most recent books I've gotten: Dune, Foundation, and Long Earth.

Dune, By Frank Herbert
So, Dune is one of those books science fiction fans rave about, especially if they're of the previous generation. A classic of classics, it features a huge and well planned world. Unfortunately, I don't know much about that world yet. I'm on page 37. So, yeah. Dune seems cool so far. It always takes getting used to, reading a really rich and good work from another time. Like Shakespeare. The first bit of a play to me is always hard to plow through if I haven't read one in a while, but once I get going it feels more or less like reading a normal book. I just focus on the story. Dune is like that. Sorta. I can feel the antiquity in the slightly formal feeling wording and the use of italicized thoughts which, at least in my experience, are less and less common nowadays.

Foundation, By Isaac Asimov
Another classic of the sci fi genera. Seeing as I only got these two (and Long Earth) yesterday, I haven't even cracked this one yet. So...what can I say? Nothing.

Long Earth, By Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter
This one, also unread (although I did peek) is partially by an author I am very familiar with: Pratchett. Pratchett is the author of the hilarious adult fantasies in the Discworld series, as well as the co-author of Good Omens (a collaboration with Neil Gaiman) Since adult fantasy is uncommon, and humorous adult fantasy is downright rare, Pratchett has become one of my favorite authors. With characters such as Death, an emotionless grim reaper with an immortal horse named Binky; to The Luggage, a treasure chest made of sapient-pear-wood that stores money, washes laundry, and eats people who reach in to steal some gold; I always find Pratchett fun to read, and I look forward to reading this book.


So. That was books. Tomorrow maybe I'll talk about springs, bit of mauve fluff, or even tongue cleaners made of recycled yogurt cups. Who knows. Thank you for reading.


-Shadow (Who has decided against the poetry idea)

2 comments:

  1. Lol. I like your consistency. You never post when you say you're going to . . .

    Foundation is pretty nice. Only don't read Second Foundation after Foundation, because, as I discovered, it is NOT the second book in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yeah...in my own defense I was on vacation, but I really should have posted sooner...

      Delete